ARTICLE :

Introduction to Mondrian OLAP schema

by Yogaraj Khanal on December 4th, 2011

Introduction

This article demonstrates how you can design Mondrian OLAP Schema using Schema Workbench. I am using MySQL database for this article purpose.

Background

Mondrian in java based OLAP engine which executes MDX queries from RDBMS.

Detail

In this article I am showing you how you can create a basic Mondrian schema using Schema Workbench by connecting to MySQL RDBMS and show the data using Saiku as plug-in in Pentaho BI suite which works on this schema. Also I will show you how to publish the schema in the series of steps.

Prerequisite for this article:
MySQL Database and Query Browser (optional) which can be freely downloaded from here:

Use this DDL to create a database and a table to be used for the purpose of this tutorial
CREATE database mondrian;
USE mondrian;
CREATE TABLE mondrian (
     id INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
	 name varchar(100),
     address varchar(100),
     data VARCHAR(100)
     )ENGINE=InnoDB;
Insert some data and verify that they are there using these DML statements
INSERT INTO mondrian(name,address,data) values('yogi','usa','mondrian article');
SELECT * from mondrian;
I am keeping database this simple and clean for this article purpose.

Now let's get into the Schema Workbench part. I am using the latest stable build to date version 3.3.0 for this article. Download the latest stable build of Schema workbench from here:
After you download and extract put the drivers for the database. I have three drivers here:

MySQL driver is required for this tutorial. This can be downloaded from bottom part of this article where I have provided distribution of the MySQL JDBC driver, sql script and actual schema that you can import from schema workbench and viewed.

This screen can be viewed from by clicking Options->Connection providing your credentials to connect to database and clicking on the test button shown above.

You can do the File->New->JDBC explorer and expand the tree to view your table as shown above in the screen shot.

In the screen above I did File->New->Schema and gave a schema a name mondrianS.
Also notice the * on the first highlight from the top indicating that you have to save it.

Right click and to Add cube and give it a name in this case mondrianC.

In this screen I did right click on the cube and added the table that we just created and connected which should be shown in drop down under name section if you did everything correctly.

In this screen I have added a dimension called name and gave it nameD corresponding to our table column name. Also hierarchy is also added by default which I gave name called nameH. If you notice the error in the bottom of the screen that says “At least one Level must be set for Hierarchy” but when you go to add Level you will see it grayed out and the work around is posted in this post which took me a while to figure out that this is limitation of Schema Workbench. So let try the work around shown below.

Let's first add a table before adding the Level and then lets delete the table as shown in screen shot below.

The points to not in this screen are the yellow highlighted column name is required field which should be available in drop down. Also I have deleted the temporary table I added in the screen shot above.

I have repeated the same steps explained above to add two more dimension addressD and dataD that corresponds to the column in our database we created.

The last important thing that is required to add is measure. So let's go ahead and add it.
You have to right click on the cube to add it. Yellow highlighted part shows its required field that should be available from drop down.

Now let's save our schema somewhere and run basic MDX query to make sure it has no errors in it. File->New->MDX Query

If you followed everything you should be able to see no error like in the screen above.
Observer that you are selecting two dimension one on ROWS and one on columns from a Cube.

Now it's time to publish our schema in Pentaho BI and use Saiku plugin to view the data.
Please follow this article on how to install Saiku in Pentaho BI.

You have click Schema then go to File->Publish to get the screen to publish the schema as shown in screen shot below.

I assumed that you are running pentaho on localhost on port 8080 and using default pentaho test login joe/password if not use PAC to set and adjust the information accordingly.

You have to set the password in this location
<PENTAHO_HOME>\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\publisher_config.xml and use same in Publish Password field above.

You can right click in PUC to create a new folder to place your published file. Let's create a folder name MondrianSchema folder to publish our schema which will be created in pentaho solutions folder.

Let's create a folder name MondrianSchema folder to publish our schema which will be created in pentaho-solutions folder.

Yellow highlighted part shows our new folder that we are going to use to publish schema.

You should be able to browser to that folder now from Schema Workbench as shown in the screen shot above. See the second yellow highlight section which we should correct first to publish the schema. You should have preexisting JNDI Data Source and have same exact name here to publish otherwise it won't like it. So let's go ahead and create one Using PUC using option:
File->New->Datasource

Let's select data to make sure we can see it from here.

Now we can use this JNDI Data Source name that we just created with confidence in Schema Workbench to publish data. After clicking Close and Finish button make sure to save default model and restart the bi server to make sure that JNDI resource exist in many cases it gives problem if you don't do so. So take it as required important step.

Here I am getting publishing error since I didn't start the Pentaho BI server running on Tomcat which you can see in screen shot below.

Also I need to be inside the Mondrian Schema folder to publish it as shown in screen shot below.

In above screen I was outside of the folder and didn't restart the BI server that is why publishing filed I am documenting these steps here to show you all scenario.

If you those all the steps I did you should be able to see this message.

Now you can use Saiku in PUC to view the data as shown in screen shot below.

I hope this article servers the purpose of helping you learn creating OLAP Schema and short and simple and complete enough to grasp the concept and able to use Saiku in PUC to view your data.

Conclusion

This article demonstrates how you can build the basic Mondrian cube and publish it to the Pentaho BI server and use Saiku plugin installed on it to view your data. Please free to send me your comments, suggestions and questions through this website.

References

Download

Click here to download source code

Author:

Yogaraj Khanal
Date: December 4th, 2011

Comments:

Profile Photo
Commented by Noodles Noodles
on September 10th, 2012 at 02:11:29 EST
I was doing everything like in your tutorial, I even downloaded your source code, but when I am trying to execute MDX query I am getting this error: Mondrian Error:Failed to parse query ''

Mondrian Error:Internal error: While parsing

Mondrian Error:Syntax error at line 1, column 1, token ''

maybe you know where problem is?

Commented by Noodles Noodles
on September 10th, 2012 at 02:17:43 EST

Mondrian Error:Internal error: While parsing

Mondrian Error:Syntax error at line 1, column 1, token ''

maybe you know where problem is?

Commented by Yogaraj Khanal
on September 10th, 2012 at 07:48:41 EST
Looks like you have issue with data format. What database are you using?
All check the roles and permission if its applicable.

Commented by Noodles Noodles
on September 13th, 2012 at 03:09:57 EST
Hey man, Thanks for quick reply, I just figured out where I made mistake, already fixed it.

Commented by Noodles Noodles
on September 13th, 2012 at 04:17:40 EST

Commented by Bhaskar RAO
on January 13th, 2013 at 15:46:08 EST
Hi, I face the issue could you please let me know the fix you applied.

Appreciate your help.

Regards

Commented by Gustavo Alzate
on March 20th, 2013 at 21:02:30 EST
hi I AM doing all that you explained and the workbench show that i´ve published my schema correctly, but i cannot see it in the saiku analytics. what it could be?

Commented by Yogaraj Khanal
on March 20th, 2013 at 21:14:18 EST
Can you run Query on work bench to get data?
Which db version of work bench r u using?most cases r data type issues

Commented by Sadakar Pochampalli
on April 10th, 2013 at 09:12:54 EST
Hi.. I'm a Junior BI developer in Open Source technologies like Pentaho and Jaspersoft.
This is an amazing tutorial for beginners like me. Thanks a lot to work out.
I hope you might replay for the following basic queries as I'm a beginner SWB.

1) How to use multiple tables in creating CUBE?
2) If I want to take Measures from fact table and column/rows from dimension tables then How will I apply this in creating CUBE?
3) Is there any concept of JOINS if we use multiple tables? Give us a small brief.
4) How to apply functions and all ? Can we group the data using CUBE?
5) What is the difference of PRD developed chart using queries and CUBE developed chart ?

My brain is running around a lot of questions... Hope I'll be learning one by one.
In a desert of web pages, I found an oasis i.e, your site. thank a lot :)
Requesting:
Could you please provide a working example like above which uses multiple tables and somewhat less complex CUBE with major functionalities ?

Thanks a lot Yogaraj Sir :)

Commented by Yogaraj Khanal
on April 10th, 2013 at 14:21:40 EST
Sadakar,
Thanks for reading my article and I am glad that it helped you.
There is no simple answer to your questions I would recommend you visit this web resource and books to get you in depth technical knowledge.

Commented by Zizou Bnacef
on April 24th, 2013 at 11:57:04 EST
hi;
i'm process of constructing a cube olap in workbench shema 3.5 i have many problem, i
found a solution.my relationnal database is in mysql workbench5
1-the workbench schema displayed me in the bottom "table fact_table does not exist in database" although the test conection in the database is works fine ,
2-when i want to desplay the jdbc explorer i don't found my database

Please note:i copy and paste the mysql connector 5.0 into 2 folder in workbench ( driver, lib)
can you give me solution about my big problem.thank's

Commented by Yogaraj Khanal
on April 24th, 2013 at 14:05:09 EST
Seems link your publish failed which I have documented with screen shot.Please try again the steps I defined here.Many issues are with data formatting also.Make sure you define them right based on database you use.

Commented by Zizou Bnacef
on April 26th, 2013 at 09:17:35 EST
Hi Yogaraj Khanal;
my problem is resolved when i changed a version of a jar file.:)
regards.

Commented by Zizou Bnacef
on April 26th, 2013 at 11:06:45 EST
but now when i try to create my mdx query :
SELECT
Measures.Count_enqueteur on columns,
connexion_soned.children,
connexion_onas.children ,
connexion_steg.children,
satisfaction_logement.children,
Gouvernorat.children on rows
FROM Analyse

he give me a error Syntax error at line 3, column 25, token ','
when i delete som element
select
Measures.Count_enqueteur on columns,
Gouvernorat.children on rows
FROM Analyse
he give me "[Measures].[Count_enqueteur]' not found in cube 'Analyse'
"
can you give me a help!!!!!!!!!!

Commented by Zizou Bnacef
on April 26th, 2013 at 11:11:00 EST
but now when i try to create my mdx query :
SELECT
Measures.Count_enqueteur on columns,
connexion_soned.children,
connexion_onas.children ,
connexion_steg.children,
satisfaction_logement.children,
Gouvernorat.children on rows
FROM Analyse

he give me a error Syntax error at line 3, column 25, token ','
when i delete som element
select
Measures.Count_enqueteur on columns,
Gouvernorat.children on rows
FROM Analyse
he give me "[Measures].[Count_enqueteur]' not found in cube 'Analyse'
"
can you give me a help!!!!!!!!!!

Commented by Zizou Bnacef
on April 27th, 2013 at 06:32:22 EST
this is the solution for my problem my be she help somebody:

select {[Measures].Count_enqueteur} on columns,
([connexion_steg],[connexion_onas],[connexion_soned],[satisfaction_logement],[gouvernorat]) on rows
from [Analyse]

Commented by Tarek Taerk
on May 31st, 2013 at 11:12:43 EST
Hi, i want to know how can saiku access to the data and visualise it on the browser thank you.

Commented by Yogaraj Khanal
on May 31st, 2013 at 12:07:07 EST
Saiku works on Mondrain schema and plugin in pentaho or independent web project
U can download source code of Saiku and see details

Commented by Tarek Taerk
on June 1st, 2013 at 06:41:52 EST
thank you for responding, but I want to know that when I publish my XML description of the cube in pentaho server, what address I can put to see the data in the browser: localhost:8080 ?

Commented by Yogaraj Khanal
on June 1st, 2013 at 07:19:11 EST
Yes it would be http://host:port/
You will see your schema under food mart which is default
Schema in Saiku if you publish successfully

Commented by Tarek Taerk
on June 1st, 2013 at 09:51:14 EST
ok thank you

Commented by Tarek Taerk
on June 1st, 2013 at 15:27:17 EST
hello, have you an idea about saiku server foodmart? , do i need to install pentaho with it to make it work??

Commented by Tarek Taerk
on June 1st, 2013 at 15:36:52 EST

Commented by Sonal Desai
on August 12th, 2013 at 06:52:37 EST
Hi,

Can anyone help me to create Aggragate Name in schema workbench ?